Battle for the Capital 2014

A call for alumni to rally behind VCU in Battle for the Capital

Share

I recently saw a quote from Studs Terkel, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author, who said, “When you become part of something, in some way you count. To count is very important.”

That made me think about the more than 171,000 alumni who are part of Virginia Commonwealth University and how much they count — and matter — for all of us.

Alumni are critically important members of our premier urban, public research university. They make such a difference in the life of our university through their service, support, opportunities for mentorship, hiring our graduates, and helping us continue to build a great university of the foundation they laid. Philanthropy from our alumni bolsters so many areas, including student scholarships, research and study-abroad opportunities. When our alumni give back, they are helping VCU excel as a nationally premier urban, public research university, and investing in the lasting value of their degrees.

This week presents a unique opportunity for our alumni to become even more engaged in their alma mater. Once again, I know we can count on you to rally behind VCU a philanthropy challenge against crosstown and Atlantic-10 rival University of Richmond in the second annual “Battle for the Capital.”

“The Battle for the Capital” runs now-Feb. 1, when VCU and Richmond play in an important A-10 men’s basketball game at the Siegel Center. It will then resume Feb. 27-March 6, when VCU and Richmond play again at Richmond. Click on the link above for more details.

I deeply appreciate the support of our VCU alumni. As I meet with alumni all over the nation, I am continually reminded that what makes our university special is the people who live, work, learn, create, innovate, discover, graduate from — and give back to — VCU.

Studs Terkel had it right:  To count is very important.  We are counting on you.