VP health sciences and VCUHS CEO transition plan

Share

Since the announcement of Dr. Sheldon Retchin’s move to The Ohio State University, I have actively engaged colleagues and leadership across the university, in particular the health sciences schools, as well as the VCU Health System in developing the most effective transition plan. In establishing this plan, I have focused on ensuring that the strength and momentum of the university, its health sciences schools and the health system are maintained.

It is essential that a respected physician scholar be appointed to fill the vice president of Health Sciences and VCU Health System CEO roles, until a permanent replacement can be recruited. Dr. Jerome Strauss is a nationally recognized leader in academic medicine, and I am pleased to announce that he has agreed to assume these interim responsibilities. In this capacity he will be responsible for the health sciences schools as well as the VCU Health System, reporting directly to me. He will remain dean of the School of Medicine.

John Duval, one of the most accomplished academic health center administrators in the nation, will assume the role of VCU vice president for clinical services and CEO of VCU Hospitals, and will have a reporting relationship to me and join Jerry Strauss on my cabinet.

In making these appointments, I want to emphasize that VCU enjoys great depth of executive talent in academic, clinical and business domains. This leadership team has distinguished itself as individuals and as an exceptional team. It is my clear expectation that this teamwork will be the centerpiece of coordinated efforts during the transition. We have clearly articulated goals for the university and its health sciences schools and the health system, which will ensure advancement of our Quest for Distinction and health system strategic plans, building upon the quality of our people and programs.

The appointments are effective Jan. 17, 2015. A national search for Vice President of Health Sciences and CEO of the Health System will begin in just a few weeks, at the beginning of the new year.

I again thank Dr. Retchin for his 32 years of dedicated service to the institution, our community and to the commonwealth. I am confident that we will continue to build upon his great accomplishments and to achieve our vision for academic excellence and human health.